Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sayaka the Mighty

I’m sure it will shock you to know there are very few Japanese people who live in Wisconsin, much less the town I go to school in.  Sayaka was one of the five (she graduated in December).  So as you can imagine, if you say the name Sayaka, she is the first person many, many people think of.
                This is partially because she’s one of five, but it’s also largely due to the fact that she’s met so many people and made a positive impression on their lives.  Sayaka, without any effort, breaks many stereotypes of a Japanese person.  Shy, quiet, and reserved aren’t really words one would use to describe her. 

Here is Sayaka hugging a fake maccha ice cream cone.

She is a go-getter, always out there to experience new things and meet new people, and I really admire her for that.  She knows how to let herself go and just have fun.
Sayaka is also facing a problem many of us are: being caught between two worlds.  She has a degree from the US as well as a degree from Japan, and knows better than most how both countries have their faults and their good points.  It’s difficult having roots on opposite sides of the world.  Sayaka manages it with a ‘what will happen, will happen’ sort of attitude.
Here is Sayaka realizing people could see her hugging said cone.


She is someone I go to advice, as well as someone I go to when I need to vent.  I’m grateful that she also vents to me.  She is extremely supportive and always has wise advice.  Often seeing the positive side of an otherwise negative situation, she usually sees a new solution to a problem.

I’m lucky to call myself her friend.

Here is Sayaka.  <3

2 comments:

  1. I like the expression of her face in the first photo and the composition of the third photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is really sweet of you! I mean, you’ve had all this blog post for your friend. I bet you really good friends that you could kid around anytime, anywhere. Well, I hope your friendship will remain strong and steady inspite of storms that may come. Have a nice weekend!

    Please visit My Website: online PhD in Law

    ReplyDelete